A little bit more about me …
Sergio Borges has dedicated the last 20 years to studying the ART and science of triathlon training. During this time, he has competed in hundreds of races of all distances including 21 Ironman races around the world (9:38 PR), over 60 half ironmans (4:12 PR), qualifying for the Hawaii Ironman World Championships seven times. Sergio has also been nominated as “All American” by USA Triathlon, 9 times. After over 10 years of investment banking, he decided to apply his expertise to personal triathlon coaching.
Sergio’s history in triathlon has contributed to the emergence of many of today’s top California-based Pro and Age Group talents. Backing his hands-on success are credentials that stand out on the busy California triathlon scene, including:
- Level III USA Triathlon coach
- Level II ITU Triathlon Coach – Junior and U23 Development
- Level II USA Cycling coach
- Head coach of the UCSD Triathlon Team (#1 Women Team 2006-2010)
- Former Head Coach of the UCI Triathlon Team
- Head Coach, USA Team (Elite, U23 and Junior) at the 2008, 2004 and 2003 Duathlon World Championships
- USAT Coach at Collegiate National Camps and Recruitment Camps
- USAT Lecturer at Coaching Level I and II Clinics
- Contributor to three sport magazines
- Over 120 athletes qualified for IM World Championships in Hawaii
Sergio is known for “thinking outside of the box” when it comes to triathlon training, in 2004 he developed his own method – Inverted Training Periodization and have since perfect it making Ironman Champions, Top 3 in 70.3 Races and many AG podiums around the World. Sergio combines his vast experience coaching athletes of all ages and abilities with a fundamental belief in the need for an individualized and realistic training plan for each athlete achieve his or her goal — from staying healthy to becoming a champion!